Wednesday, August 03, 2005

A pond

Around these parts the water runs pretty quick down the mountainsides and through the rocks. That's the gravity of the place. If you throw enough rocks in the way, you get a pond of sorts. We do that for a purpose. Some call us industrious. Really we're lazy.

I just got back from the other side of the pond.

Over there folks live with history every day. They get up in houses that might be centuries older than anything in these parts. The Indians might have been here just as long but they didn't build with rocks.Castles are monuments to men. Churches are monuments to God. I'm not sure which concept was more important to those old folks.

I enjoyed most the little heads that decorated parts of the cathedrals. Faces of the ordinary folks staring at me across time. Fanciful features. They were the people like me. They could only mock their short lives and make faces.

I guess that's the best I can do. I can't raise a castle or a church but I can make a face. I'll stick my tongue out.

Blah!

G