Saturday, November 19, 2005

Some questions

Today I was chatting with a young man. He asked how old our dog is? Fourteen. His nex questions was whether she was jewish? I wasn't sure how to answer that question.

Quite honestly, I've never known a Dalmatian to be jewish. Come to think of it I don't think I ever saw her attend any religious services. I doubt that she eats only kosher foods. AS far as I know she never went through a Bat Mitvah. I think she barked at a Jehovah's Witness who knocked on our door years ago.

But while I'm on the topic of animals and religions, my wife and I laughed years ago about squirrels being in secret suicide cults. Maybe you've had a squirrel dart out in the street trying his/her darndest to get flattened by your car tires. At the last second they make a rapid retreat. We conjectured it was because they were supposed to dart out in front of a specific manufacturers car. Honda Squirrels. Pontiac Squirrels. Buick Squirrels. Chevy Squirrels. Nissan Squirrels. They have secret rites where they dip their paws into water in the hub caps of their chosen make.

Of course that raises a question. Why aren't we over-run my Studebaker or Rambler Squirrels. Maybe the world works in odd ways. The cars stopped being manufactured because the squirrels were all dead. Hey if we can build an expensive bridge in Alaska for a handful of folks why not Squirrels that are suicidal?

And I go for the obligatory web URL. You won't believe it!

https://www.forward.com/main/article.php?ref=200412011030





G