Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Urgency

You've got to admit it- urgency is a pretty interesting sounding word. I've been mulling over the word for the last couple of days without a lot of urgency.

We seem to respond to a sense of urgency. I guess it's some chemical reaction to a sense of danger. We urgently get out of the way of a speeding train. We urgently seek medical attention when we're bleeding profusely. A number of us eat like there is no tomorrow when a minor hunger pang catches our attention. Some of us even approach sex with a sense of urgency. I'm not sure what that danger is.

I don't remember ever going to bed early with a sense of urgency. I don't think I've ever read a book with an urgent need. Heck I know I've never sought out any type of religious service with urgency. I certainly don't read the newspaper as if my life depends on it. Have you ever heard of someone dying with a sense of urgency?

It's an odd mental state. Urgency.

I wonder how a man or woman would respond to sex if their partner approached it with a sense of urgency? How would a bank teller respond if I walked in to deposit a large sum of money with urgency in my actions? We drive down the road with the appearance of urgency. Quite honestly unless you've got blinking red or blue lights on your car, I doubt that your trip is really urgent.

Come to think of it, we fool ourselves into believing that a great deal of what we do in life is so darn important that we assign it an aura of urgency. Is jumping in line to get to a movie or a fast food meal or even an amusement park ride going to be significant for the future of humanity?

Maybe we need to remove some of the false urgency from our lives. Lord knows politicians might do a better job.

Damn the dog needs to go outside. "It's urgent."

[ED. Concerted effort to include a URL: http://www.vetinfo.com/dincont.html ]

G