Saturday, December 17, 2005

waka poems

Guy down the road brought up the topic of waka poems the other day. Unfortunately, he showed a bit of his ignorance along the way based on his examples.

The original waka poems were written in Japanese in a set format to distinguish the writing from Chinese. Well, he didn't write Japanese and I doubt if he can do that or even read Chinese. Heck, even I have a very hard time with REAL classical Chinese!

Waka poems were also composed to say something about a victory in battle or love. Sometimes they were written for religious reasons. Needless to say, this guy has no victories in battle and he sure doesn't express love. Heck, I can't even give him a pass on religious content.

Pompous foolish ass
Babbling like a brook in flood
And at Christmas, too.

And that is NOT waka or haiku even if it has 5-7-5 syllables.

But then my dharma name is kenzen mutoku and I laugh at that too.

G

G