Tuesday, January 03, 2006

I don't get it

OK. No snide comments from the peanut gallery. Gee, that's dating me right there. Peanut Gallery. Yeah, my generation learned that one at the knee of Howdy Doody even though good old Buffalo Bob didn't invent it. It was a term older than Bob.

But again, I don't get it.

There are a lot of folks out there that like the Lime light. Gee, another theatrical term, what's happening to me today? There are people who want others to notice them. They'll do a lot to get noticed. I'm talking about going further than wearing fancy jewelery or flashy clothing. A little bit more than the fastest car on the road. OK, to some degree even this blog is an atempt to get noticed.

Is it something we can't avoid? Is it related to our inner programming to spread our DNA?

Drive down some of our local roads. Sitting out front of the double-wide is a car that seems way out of place. It's never made a lot of sense to me that the loan on the car is larger than the loan on the house. And putting kiddie seats in those back seats is absurd!

Are we hiding from ourselves when we go out among our peers or are we fluffing our feathers? There are two sides to the same coin.

Nowadays we can throw the net into the mix. I've seen things on my computer screen that make even me blush. People can "present" themselves to the entire electronic world without a care in the world. There was a time when you had to walk into an adult book store and ask for something even they hid under the counter. Now the tap of a few keys and it's there.

Heck, I'm sitting here listening to country hits WITHOUT advertising and DJs who tell bad jokes. I consider that an incredible advantage from technology. I can go hit a forward button to pass the song I don't like or I can change to another genre. For me that's the magic. I can change my world to suit me. And I can even invite other folks into it if I want.

I think of it as being able to watch a parade right outside my window. Granted, we don't get any parades around here even on the fourth of July. If I don't like something I can look out another window. If I really like something I can invite it/them in to stay a while. Hell, I don't even have to get dressed or offer something to eat.

G