Friday, January 13, 2006

Mad



It's not often that I pick up the local newspaper and agree with an editorial. Today I came pretty close.

They were writing about how so many people seem to have a need to be mad about something. I'll admit it right up front. I'm guilty.

I don't use the same excuses that some of my neighbors latch onto but I manage my fair share of getting upset. Shame on me.

Of course, I could get mad at me for getting mad, right?

Yesterday I got roally upset at a local car dealership employee. I asked for someone to help me. I didn't ask for someone's phone mail. Believe it or not I called the main number EIGHT times seeking help. I was even sent to wrong offices TWICE. I got a recorded message that told me I could buy a good car at a great price in less than thirty minutes. I couldn't get help about the car I bought there in over THIRTEEN MINUTES.

Each time I got bounced around I got madder. When I get mad at a system that is poorly designed I vent at the poor slobs who are just victims of the system. THe poor employee who was misdirecting me (I'll give her the benefit of the doubt) was either poorly trained, the system was set up wrong or she was hired for the wrong reasons.

But the topic at hand is the way we seem to wallow in our madness. The editorial didn't address this. My guess is that we are seeking some type of stimulation and some sense of satisfaction. I know I've got a lot of frustrations in my life. Sometimes it feels pretty good to just express the frustration even if it is misdirected.

If that is the case, how can I redirect my frustration?

Ah, a great question for Friday the thirteenth.

G