Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Led Zep

Monk Ki is walking through the town. He loves to see new things. He enjoys new experiences. He is not expecting a real monkey.

“Greeting no hair man.” Monk Ki takes a second look. It is then he realizes that the little monkey in the velvet clothes and the hat really isn’t talking. The man with the bushy moustache is a ventriloquist. He plays along.

“Little furry tail. How are you today?” Monk Ki makes a gassho. The monkey grabs his hat in his paw and pulls it from his head and bows.

“I feel like an animal.”

“Don’t let that worry you. I feel like a man.”

“What’s your pleasure?” the monkey looks quizzically at the monk.

“Pleasure? I’m sorry, I don’t seek pleasure.”

“Of course you do. Do you think I’m just a dumb monkey?”

“I’m a monk. We don’t chase pleasure.”

“I’m a monkey. I don’t chase my tail but it is still there.”

“Bravo!”

“So what is your pleasure? My friend here will play it on his hurdy gurdy.”

“Ah hah. Hurdy Gurdy. I’ve heard of those. It is an organ, right?”

“Not going there.” The monkey chatters and laughs. He holds out his tin cup.

“Ahhhhh. Brother. “ Monkey shows his wooden begging bowl.

“Sister.” The little monkey raises his tunic to prove her statement.

“Stairway to Heaven.” Monk Ki bets that the organ grinder can’t play that tune and holds a tempting coin.

“That will go over like a lead balloon,” The monkey shakes his cup until Monk Ki drops the coin. The monkey doffs his hat and scampers up the organ grinder’s arm. The old man begin to crank the handle.

A woman begins to sing the lyrics as the organ starts the melody:

“There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven
And when she gets there she knows if the stores are closed
With a word she can get what she came for”

G