Thursday, March 09, 2006

Tonight

Tonight I sit at my computer keyboard alone. For the first time in years I don't feel a dog nearby. For the last few years, I've had my computer in the same room where she would sleep.

A vet came to the house around eleven o'clock this morning. Oreo died peacefully. She was so full of energy when she was young. She was old. I can only hope that we made the correct choice at the correct time. My family has been very supportive.

I still jump when I hear a noise. Slight noises. That was a signal that we needed to check on her. Now they are just noises. This afternoon I was lying on the sofa that we have on the porch. I spent quite a bit of time on that sofa when I was contending with my staph infection. Oreo would curl at my feet and sleep as if to say "I'm here."

Tonight she is not. I miss her. I'll miss here.

G