Thursday, October 12, 2006

Perspective

In my spare moments I've been ripping pictures out of magazines. Ostensibly I'm doing it to toss the magazines. I'm saving images that capture my imagination. Some psychiatrist could write a trestise about my mental outlook on life by reviewing the pages I've saved. Of course the joke is that I save them for odd reasons.

The painting of nature scenes are because they remind me of places I've visited. The sculpture is to spur me to possibly do something similar in three dimensions. Some of the furniture is because I like the shape or the function. One picture is because of the way the old wooden panels were made.

But it is a matter of perspective. Artists, sculptors, wood workers, all have a perspective that they bring to their work. The pages I've ripped out are because I appreciate something about the perspective of the art they have captured. Of course, I bring my own perspective to the work too.

What you see is what you get.

I don't always get it.

G