Thursday, June 14, 2007

Monk Ki enters (stage right)

Early dawn finds Monk Ki sitting. He's been visiting other monasteries. That's his excuse and he is sticking to it. He hears the heavy footfall, though it is more of a foot shuffle behind him on the moss. In a fluid motion Monk Ki stands, turns and bows to Master Ho Ha.

"You never seem to amaze me, Monk Ki."

"I have learned a great deal from you Master."

"Perhaps I did not mean that as a compliment." Master Ho Ha points at his student with his horse hair stick.

"Master I have a question."

"Ah, things don't change. Always with the questions. Every student seem to apologize just before asking me something. It gets old. What?"

"I was visiting several other communities. There are many people and many ways of viewing life and death."

"Yes there are. The question. The question."

"I talked with a Tibetan monk. I talked with a christian minister. I talked with a scientist. I talked with a homeless man. I even talked with a woman who seemed to take great interest in what I was wearing under my robe."

"My you have been very talkative. So what is the question? I haven't got all day. Well, actually I do have all day; I just don't relish the idea of spending it with you waiting for you to get to the point."

"The Tibetan teacher was rather convincing when he described living previous lives."

"It is part of his belief system."

"The christian minister talked of a soul living after death."

"It is part of his belief system."

"The scientist talked incessantly about electricity."

"It is part of his belief system."

"The homeless man talked lovingly about a bottle of wine."

"Once more, it is.." Monk Ki interupted his teacher, "part of his belief system."

"And the woman?"

"She talked about making love all night long. Let me guess."

Master Ho Ha smiles at his student.

"The question Monk KI?"

I am confused. The scientist explained to me that everything we sense is because of little bursts of electricity. My nerve ending are excited by electricity and I see, I taste, I smell, I hear, I taste, I even think."

"Yes, we say something similar in the Prajnaparamita mantra though we don't mention electricity."

"So is the past life just the action of electricity? Is the soul just electricity? Is the wine electricity in a bottle which is also electricity? Is making love all night simply electricity?"

"What do you think?"

"I think it might be."

"Shocking!" master Ho Ha laughs and Monk Ki misses the importance of his comment.

"So if there is no electricity?" Monk Ki has a look of horror on his face.

"One must be very grounded." Master Ho Ha smiles. "Just sit Monk Ki. Just sit. Become very grounded."

"Is that your belief system?"

"No. That is my relief system. Just sit." Master Ho Ha walks away.