Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Miles to go

Of course we all know that Robert Frost line..

But we were traveling yesterday. It's gard to believe that we travelled almost 680 miles and took longer than it takes to fly across the Atlantic. We weren't in a jet liner and the mountains of West Virginia seem to last forever.

It was nice to hear a familiar freight train trundle through the neighborhood this morning. I'm not excited to be back in the heat and humidity though. Things need to be done around the house but first things first. I've checked my email. I've been dumping water on the stressed trees. I checked out the engine alert light that flashed after filling in West Virginia. I bought groceries. My life sounds worse than mundane.

Master Ho Ha walks into the room and roars with laughter. Monk Ki is surprised.

"So where have you been?"

"North and environs."

"Any one of the ten thosand directions is good but you are still where you are."

"But I travelled miles. I saw things I've never seen before. I ate food that I'd never tasted."

"And did anyone smile at you?"

"What do you mean?" Monk Ki stares at his teacher.

"Did anyone smile at you? That is not a difficult question."

"I don't know."

"Then you never left home." Master Ho Ha laughs as he looks at a cloud sit heavy in the sky.

G