Monday, December 19, 2005

Tis the season

Call them what you like but it seems to me that religious holidays are the last thing folks should be fighting over.

The recent babble reminds me of the bumper sticker I saw the other day. "God Bless America." I'm sorry but I think Dickens had a better take on the matter- "God Bless Everyone." I don't happen to think God chooses sides.

People like to hate someone or something else. That's what world wars are made out of. That's what cold wars were. Now days we have jihads and liberals vs conservatives. Let's not forget racial bias.We even have "reality tv" where we see normal people forming "alliances" and back stabbing. Heck, we even have a guy down the road who hates "hippies" whatever they are.

One of my neighbors has decided to shun me. I can live with it OK. Quite honestly everytime I talked with him I wanted to shake some sense into him. He's one of those folks who applies labels to justify his hatred of some group. He has a thing about women, blacks, and liberals- in that order. Everybody is out of step except him. Of course he didn't like my pointing out that he's guilty of some of the stuff he hates. He breaks the law and I know of one instance when he cheated an insurance company. He hates Social Security and Medicare but he doesn't return the checks. He's a poster child for hypocrisy.


I try not to be a hypocrit. It's not easy.

I don't drive over the Speed Limit. There are two reasons. The first is so that I can't find with myself for breaking the law. I might not like all laws but I honestly try NOT to break any of them. Break even the smallest and you're a lawbreaker. The second is that at least on te Interstate I save fuel. Money in my pocket.

So at this time of year folks should be reflecting. In the very old days it was a time of death and rebirth. It should be a time of reflection.

So whatever floats your boat, let me hope that you celebrate it with your family and loved ones so that you are happy. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Happy Hannukah, Best Kawanza, A Bright Winter Solstice, Badacious Bodhi Day, and all of the other days I know nothing about. And remember:

"God Bless EVERYONE."

G