Thursday, May 11, 2006

Magic

Master Ho Ha walks down one of the garden paths. This is the time of year when each step brings a new sight. Leaves and flowers appear overnight. And then he hears the sound of some spring peepers. Just as he was beginning to enjoy the symphony he was rudely interupted.

"Master. Can I ask you a question?"

That question from Monk Ki broke his reverie.

"You just did. Is there another question?"

"Yes. I'm confused."

"Everyone can be confused. There is nothing unusual about that."

"We had a visitor the other day. An attractive young girl."

"You noticed. Ah, Monk Ki you are more mindful about something things. Yes. She came to learn."

"All she talked about was whether she could have privacy here."

"Yes, she asked me the same questions."

"We told her that here was the most private place in the world. But she left. She said she didn't think she couold feel private here. What did you tell her?"

"I told her the truth. Here one can be private from others but not from themselves. Here we ask ourselves questions until we answer our own questions."

Monk Ki looked at his teacher. "But she left."

"Yes. It is hard when one really wants to just get away from themselves. There is no escape. THere is no privacy."

"Where did she go?"

"I really don't know but I suspect to a place where others will help her hide from herself."

"Will she return?"

"Only when she can't stand looking at herself from outside."

"I don't think I understand, Master Ho ha."

"It is a beautiful Spring day."

"Thank you."

G