Thursday, August 02, 2007

Nocturnal

Nocturnal is an interesting word. At this moment it is interesting to me. It really isn’t that great a word. I could look it up in OED and perhaps learn something I didn’t know about the word but that isn’t pertinent.

I have nocturnal thoughts. I have nocturnal dreams. I even have nocturnal aches and pains. I don’t think to much about what I think about during the day and we all have day dreams and yes, I even have pains during the day. So why should I (or anyone else) delineate with the word nocturnal?

Maybe there is less confusion at night so these events take on a pseudo-importance. Are my nocturnal thoughts any better? Who am I kidding. It’s the same brain.

Last night I woke up around three AM. I have no idea why I woke up. I did. I couldn’t get immediately back to sleep so there I was stuck with nocturnal thoughts, pains, and replaying nocturnal dreams.

My dreams are rarely remembered. I might remember them when I first rouse into awareness but they disappear quickly. I’m not one of those folks who put great import on dreams. My dreams would never solve world problems. My dreams will not entertain the masses. If I remembered my dreams and told them to anyone they would probably yawn and quickly fall asleep.

So I’m stuck with the word: nocturnal.

Yawn.