Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Cameras show it like it is


Cameras rarely lie. That is a sad fact in life. I’ve been experimenting with a digital camera. Yes, even old dogs can learn new tricks. And yes, the railroad is my target. So yesterday I snapped a picture as I attempt to learn about taking close-up pictures.

There bigger than life was something I’d missed before. THe smokestack has an imperfection right at the top. Maybe it is a manufacturing defect. Maybe I dropped it. I have no idea but I’d never seen that before. Today I took another picture. Yes, that one that I added to the page. The locomotive sits on a turntable I built.

How many things can you see that need serious attention? I see quite a few.

First, look at the dust on the locomotive! Serious cleaning is needed.

Next, that wheel that allows the turntable to rotate is grossly over size.

Instead of looking “closer” look in the background. No it is no snowing. Those are places in my plaster shell where the brown paint needs correction. Sigh. A few tree trunks need attention too.

The engine wheels are not on the track. I knew that.

And those decals on the tender denoting the number! They are horrible! They need to blend in with the paint job.

So much to do and so little time.

Git er done!