Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Red House

I'm sitting here in the warm listening to Louis Gatewood's rendition of Red House. I know. I know. You've never heard of him. Maybe you've heard of this blues classic. What's odd about it is that the song isn't that old. But then some say it is timeless.

But it reminds me of Mo Baxter down on Eagle Street. You have to go back a few years to get to that time and place. Mo used to play this beat up old guitar. I swear I think it was made from various guitar pieces that he assembled with shoe repair glue. The strings were heavy gauge but man could he play that box.

It's a shame that we don't have street musicians like in the old days. Say all you want but a few more Mo Baxters on the streets we might even see more folks downtown. Darn squeaky cleans would probably pass laws to keep them off the streets. Who'd want to park a BMW or Lexus on the same street corner as Mo?

G